Generally speaking, traveling via air with your Chihuahua is easy.
Rather, traveling with your Chihuahua "In-Cabin" is mostly easy.
* International travel rules are much more restrictive! *
I was inspired to publish this page after
reading some incorrect information on the AKC website.
For traveling "in-Cabin", underneath the seat in front of you:
- Do NOT sedate your Chihuahua!
- You'll need a Chihuahua-sized carrier, often soft-sided, that will fits underneath the seat in front of you.
- When asked, the reservations desk will offer to charge you... about $80.
- You MAY need a Certified Vet Health Certificate (signed by a Vet within
10 days), showing up-to-date vaccinations. This varies by airline.
- The total number of pets flying ("in cabin" and "as baggage") is often
limited per airline or aircraft.
When traveling as "Baggage" (same as cargo):
"Vet" indicates that a Veterinarian signed
document showing up-to-date vaccinations is required for travel. Be aware that
while the airline may not require vaccination paperwork, the local
- Do not sedate your Chihuahua! If required, get approval from the
Vet and airline, FIRST!
- You must use a sturdy Chihuahua-sized carrier approved for airline use. It
must be marked with "live animal" stickers, etc., etc., big white
arrows, etc., etc. Call your
airline and get specific requirements.
- Must have a Certified Vet Health Certificate (signed by a Vet within 10
days), showing up-to-date vaccinations.
- Temperatures must be between 45-85°F for the ENTIRE
- Must be less than 12 hours in duration
- There may be "embargoes", dates which pets cannot fly
in the cargo hold. Generally May 15th - Sep 15th.
- Overall, shipping as cargo can be a pain in the
tuchas and is just not a good idea unless you have no other option.
Pets traveling to Hawaii and
the territory of Guam are subject to quarantine.
Pets traveling to the United Kingdom MUST obtain a Pet Travel Scheme Entry from
a APHIS accredited veterinarian or Re-entry Certificate from the USDA office in
his or her state.
If you email me with additional airlines, I will update the list...